GAME DAY | ICE begin final road trip of the regular season against Oil Kings
Cranbrook, B.C. – The Kootenay ICE (25-38-4-1) begin their final road trip of the 2017-18 regular season on Sunday against the Edmonton Oil Kings (19-41-6-2).
Puck drop is scheduled for 4 p.m. MST.
ICE 2017-18 Club Leaders:
Goals: Alec Baer (27)
Assists: Colton Kroeker (43)
Points: Colton Kroeker, Alec Baer (57)
PIMS: Jonathan Smart (63)
Plus/Minus: Michael King, Nolan Orzeck (+2)
Wins: Matt Berlin (14)
The ICE are coming off a 2-1 overtime loss to the Regina Pats on Friday, March 9. Alec Baer scored the only goal of the game for the ICE while goaltender Duncan McGovern made 32 saves. The ICE were outshot 34-20. They went 0-for-4 on the power play, 2-for-2 on the penalty kill and won 31 of 58 face-offs.
ICE Captain Colton Kroeker is expected to play in his 250th career WHL regular season game Sunday afternoon.
The ICE have amassed 55 points this season, which is good for fourth in the Central Division and 10th in the Eastern Conference.
The ICE are 1-7-1-1 in their last 10 games and have a road record of 10-21-1-1.
– ’99-born forward Brett Davis is three goals away from 50 career WHL goals.
– ’97-born forward Colton Kroeker is two goals away from 50 career WHL goals.
– ’97-born forward Colton Veloso is eight assists away from 50 career WHL assists.
– ’99-born forward Brett Davis is three points away from 100 career WHL points.
– ’97-born forward Colton Kroeker is two points away from 150 career WHL points.
– ’97-born forward Colton Veloso is four points away from 100 career WHL points.
– ’99-born forward Brett Davis has 39 points in the last 35 games (16G, 23A).
– ’97-born forward Alec Baer has points in six-straight games (1G, 5A).
– ’01-born forward Peyton Krebs has points in four of his last six games (0G, 4A).
OIL KINGS PREVIEW
Oil Kings 2017-18 Club Leaders:
Goals: Colton Kehler (30)
Assists: Trey Fix-Wolansky (51)
Points: Trey Fix-Wolansky (80)
PIMS: Tomas Soustal (81)
Plus/Minus: Jake Neighbours (-1)
Wins: Todd Scott (11)
The Oil Kings have four regular season games remaining, three of which will be played in their home rink of Rogers Place. The Oil Kings enter Sunday’s contest on a four-game losing streak.
The Oil Kings are coming off a 6-4 loss to the Medicine Hat Tigers on Friday, March 9. They outshot the Tigers 31-30, went 0-for-1 on the power play, 3-for-6 on the penalty kill and won 33 of 68 face-offs.
The Oil Kings have collected 46 points this season, which is good for sixth in the Central Division and 12th in the Eastern Conference.
HEAD TO HEAD
This is the sixth and final meeting of the season between the ICE and the Oil Kings.
The last time these two teams met was on January 31 at Western Financial Place, which turned out to be a 5-2 victory for Edmonton.
The ICE are 5-5-1-0 in the last 11 games against the Oil Kings in Edmonton. Overall, both home and away, the ICE are 9-11-3-0 in the last 23 games against the Oil Kings.
ICE v OIL KINGS COMPARISONS
|PP||51-291 (17.5%)||47-269 (17.5%)|
|PK||50-235 (78.7%)||87-298 (70.8%)|