Cranbrook, B.C. – What has the 2018 off-season been like for ICE 2000-born forward Kaeden Taphorn? What is he most looking forward to next season? And what aspects of his game is he working on?
Taphorn has answered all of those questions and more in our feature called Off-season Eight.
(1) What are you most looking forward to when it comes to the 2018-19 season?
Answer: Going into the 2018-19 season, I am looking forward to continuing to build on the successes of last season. With the depth of talent we have and the talent coming in, we will make strides and hopefully a deep playoff run.
(2) What are your goals for the 2018-19 season?
Answer: Some goals I have for the 2018-19 season are trying to chip in more offensively and continue to improve on the defensive side of my game.
(3) What aspect of your hockey game have you been working on in the off-season?
Answer: I’ve been working on all aspects of my game. For the off ice aspect of my game, I’ve mainly been working on strength and explosiveness. On ice, I’ve been focusing on the skill side of the game and on my stride and explosiveness.
(4) What is your favourite thing to do in the off-season?
Answer: During the off-season, I love to play baseball and golf whenever I get the opportunity to. I also enjoy spending time at the lake with family and friends.
(5) What is the biggest thing you learned during last season that will help you moving forward as a player?
Answer: The biggest thing that I learned is probably on the mental side of the game. Learning how to deal with adversity and trying to keep your mindset positive when things get challenging is something that I will learn from and take with me moving forward.
(6) What is your favourite moment from last season?
Answer: There were a lot of great moments from last year. My favourite was probably just seeing all the positive changes being made with the organization.
(7) What did you think of the Stanley Cup playoffs?
Answer: I thought the Stanley Cup playoffs were great. It was great seeing Ovechkin get the cup. Just watching him throughout the playoffs, his excitement and determination were incredible and it’s something that I can learn from.
(8) What did you think of the 2018 Mastercard Memorial Cup?
Answer: I thought the 2018 Memorial Cup was awesome. It was cool to see some past teammates compete in it. It also made me realize how good some teams are in the other leagues and how hard you have to work to get there.